Thanksgiving Baskets

Thanksgiving+Baskets

Haley Wyman, Arts & Culture Editor

Michelle Kalnins is the Student Council advisor for Blue Mountain’s  high school. Ms. Kalnins, Tracy Puffer, and Julie Gandin have been working with Student Council Members to put together Thanksgiving food baskets. The baskets get picked up by families on 11/23, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving break starts. If the families can’t get to the school, Gandin, and Kalnins deliver them.

BMU has been making the food baskets for 20 years now. It was originally started by the principal at that time, Carol Curtis, and Student Council advisors have since continued the tradition. Around six years ago, Puffer and Kalnins had the idea to put homemade pies and rolls in the baskets. Besides the homemade goods, lots of other Thanksgiving foods are put in there too. Every basket contains a turkey, stuffing, gravy, squash, potatoes, cranberry sauce, one pound of butter, homemade apple and pumpkin pie, one dozen homemade rolls, and a gallon of milk.

The Student Council members ask local businesses for donations, and what isn’t donated is covered by fundraising. Student Council puts together around 10-15 food baskets every year. Mrs. Kalnins says, ” I really enjoy doing this every year . . . the families are very appreciative of the dinners.”