Blue Mountain Attends Day of Racial Equity

BNN Photo/K.Hillesland

The attendees of The Day of Equity gather around the Vermont State Capitol building.

Kaylee Hillesland

Last Friday, September 30th, twenty-one Blue Mountain students made their way to the Vermont State Capitol for The Day of Racial Equity, an event discussing the effects and experiences of racial inequality in Vermont and the country. Participants heard remarks from Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, Vermont Representative Peter Welch, and many other passionate speakers.  With live music, informational booths, speeches, and food trucks, The Day of Racial Equity– organized by the Vermont Student Anti-Racism Network– was an interactive and educational experience for the many students in attendance. The event was immensely diverse with many passionate students from all over Vermont ranging from young middle schoolers to high school seniors, as well as many advocates from the community.

The event began with speaker Beth Awhaitey, outreach staffer for Bernie Sanders, stating “As you join together today, to educate and discuss ways to better our communities, let us remember how far we need to go to live in a country that respects the fundamental dignity of every person.”  The day concluded with a student speaker sharing his original poem, They Think I’m Black, excerpted here: “I will use my voice, I will use my power, my color, and my ability to fight back, I’m black and I’m tough.”

For more information about the Vermont Student Anti-Racism Network, visit vtlff.org/vsarn.