Bears Defeat the Bucks in a Heated Matchup

Danville 54-BMU 50

(BNN Photo/K. Murray)

Bucks Senior Evan Dennis sends a floater to the rim that’s good for two.

Owen Murray, News Editor

WELLS RIVER- Late Saturday afternoon, the 12-5 Bucks welcomed the 12-5 Danville Bears to the Dr. Harry M. Rowe Gymnasium for a very intense matchup with the winner securing the third seat in the VPA Standings and the loser dropping to fifth in the standings. However, the Bears proved to be tough customers beating the Bucks 54-50.

The Bucks stared off slow but found their stride, scoring 11 points to the Bears’ 9. Both teams continued fighting in the second frame, but the Bucks held on strong outscoring the Bears by 11.  The Bucks were riding high heading into the half up 31-16. After the half, the Bears came out swinging, clawing their way back into the game and outscoring the Bucks 15-10. Senior Ricky Fennimore, unfortunately, picked up several fouls in the third quarter benching him to the sideline. With the Bucks missing junior starter Cedric Schaefer out due to an injury, sophomore Kris Fennimore started, and he had this to say about the game, “We came out at half time a little flat, and that caused us to lose the game.”

In the fourth frame the Bears refused to throw in the towel and continued to fight their way back into the game. Led by Arius Andrews who ended with 12. With the Bucks’ sophomore point guard Kason Blood fouling out late in the fourth, the Bears took full advantage pushing the ball up the court and tying the game 50-50. With time winding down the Bucks fouled and sent Christian Young to the charity stripe and knocked down both putting the Bears ahead by two in the closing minutes. The Bucks attempted to take the last shot, but the Bears managed to steal the ball and convert for two points sealing the Bucks’ fate.

Blue Mountain: 11-31-41-50

K. Fennimore 1 (0) 2-4 4, E. Dennis 9 (1) 1-4 22, H. Carle 3 (1) 1-3 10, K. Blood 2 (0) 1-1 5, R. Fennimore 4 (0) 1-1 9.

Danville: 7-16-31-54

A. Guinard 0 (2) 2-2 8, A. Joncas 2 (1) 1-2 8, C. Young 0 (2) 5-6 11, L. St. Marie 1 (0) 0-0 2, C. Calkins 0 (0) 1-2 1, K. Guinard 0 (1) 0-0 3, A. Andrews 7 (0) 1-5 15, A. Raymond 2 (0) 2-2 6.