Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Green Up Day
Green Up Day
May 10, 2024

BMCS Proposes Local Solar Energy

Blue Mountain Community Solar (BMCS) proposes a local co-op solar energy option. Carl Bayer, BMCS President, and Michael McLellan, BMCS Secretary and Treasurer, are looking for community members to become shareholders. According to McLellan, “At this point solar energy is the cheapest and cleanest way to produce electricity. Not everyone has the time, the location, a large enough monthly bill or the technical expertise to put together a package for their own home. So doing it together as a co-op uses the advantages of scale to purchase and maintain a solar farm without many of the risks that one might be concerned with.” The proposed solar array will be located on an acre of land in Ryegate, VT, and is anticipated to be operational in the Spring of 2025. BMCS needs 27 average size subscribers to advance this  project. According to the BMCS’s project overview, “For the average VT household ($1,200 per year GMP bill), $21k is invested ($3.65/kW) in panels. With a onetime $6k investment tax credit, receive $900/yr. savings on GMP bill, a 14year payback, 7% ROI [return on investment].” The solar energy production will be around 225,000 kWhs per year. The current reimbursement rate for GMP is $15.04 per kWh or $33,000 a year. BMCS’ proposal will help reach the 90% renewable energy mandate by 2050, as well as give subscribers a 30% Federal Investment Tax Credit. For more information please contact Carl Bayer at 802-592-3318 or [email protected], or Michael Mclellan at 802-320-8380.