Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Groton Public Library: More Than Just a Place to Read

(grotonlibraryvt.org)

Librarian Sarah Spira speaks on the Groton Public Library’s contributions and connections to the community. Besides just a space to decompress and read a book, anyone in the community can come for anything from arts and crafts, to support in real world problems. Events can be found in their monthly newsletter, listing the upcoming events and programs.

The library hosts events such as their weekly “Story Time” on Wednesdays at 11 am. They also reach out to the artistic community with “Crafts and Conversations” on the first and third Saturdays of the month. Also reaching beyond the building itself, the library contributes to larger events like the Winter Lights event and the all popular Fall Foliage parade. 

Alongside these events the library partners with NEKCA as well as the Department of Labor to offer job seeking advice, resume support, and connection to other resources. The library also hosted an open house in the fall to get input from the community about sought after programs. “We really want to develop something that is impactful, and getting input from the community is the best way to design a program that we think will have a lasting impact,” says Spira.

After giving back to the community, the library also receives support from the public. Spira explains that the library often has volunteers that help with anything from small one time projects to regular help at the circulation desk and readying books for future readers. Spira adds that they’re “Always seeking volunteer help. There’s always ways to contribute and give back.”