Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Spring Break Plans?
Spring Break Plans?
April 21, 2024

Groton Free Public Library Provides Communal Service

BNN Photo: A. Sanborn

Groton ,VT -Established in 1885 by the town of Groton and managed by the board of trustees, the Groton Free Public Library strives to be responsive to the needs of the community. Based on ideas given by the community, the library supports by providing a variety of programs such as Narcan training, Pop Up NEKCA Marketplace (Northeast Kingdom Community Action), the Vermont Department of Labor at the GFPL, Tween and Teen Night. These programs are made possible by collaborations and volunteers which are integral to the library’s operations and mission “To help promote the use and enjoyment of the Groton Free Public Library, and to enrich the cultural opportunities available to the Groton community”. With the Groton Library being open 17 hours a week, the librarian believes in a culture of volunteerism and hopes to provide a hospitable environment that includes snacks for after school, areas to relax and read, and places to use computers with a variety of STEM activities. The Groton Free Public Library can only make these programs happen if there are volunteers which correlates to their mission statement “To maintain an association of persons interested in and supportive of the Groton Free Public Library, and to provide a pool of volunteers”. Overall the Groton Free Public Library is a dynamic and community-focused establishment that plays a role in improving the town of Groton.