Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Prom tickets will be on sale Tuesday April 30th during lunch. See Mrs. Dube in the art room for tickets.
Prom Tickets For Sale
April 30, 2024
Spring Break Plans?
Spring Break Plans?
April 21, 2024

GSA Hosts Book Discussion

Blue+Mountains+Gender+and+Sexuality+Alliance+pose+for+a+photo+after+their+book+discussion+in+the+BMU+library+on+April+16%2C+2024.+Pictured+%28from+left+to+right%29+Erin+Nelson%2C+Susanna+Nelson%2C+Isabel+Hand%2C+Karli+Blood+%28kneeling%29%2C+River+Woods%2C+Jennie+Lund%2C+Joy+Solomon%2C+Bella+Craige%2C+Melissa+Beaulieu%2C+and+Jess+Pinette.+
(BNN Photo/K.Blood)
Blue Mountain’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance pose for a photo after their book discussion in the BMU library on April 16, 2024. Pictured (from left to right) Erin Nelson, Susanna Nelson, Isabel Hand, Karli Blood (kneeling), River Woods, Jennie Lund, Joy Solomon, Bella Craige, Melissa Beaulieu, and Jess Pinette.

Blue Mountain’s Gender and Sexuality Alliance has spent the last few months preparing for the book discussion on April 16, 2024. The topic of the discussion is Last Night at the Telegraph Club by Malinda Lo. The book is the Vermont Reads book of 2023 for its themes of LGBTQ+, xenophobia, and Chinese culture. The BMU GSA read this book and led a book discussion open to the community. Light refreshments were provided by the students, and free copies of the book were available.

Turn out was low, but the members were still able to bring up great points about the themes of the book and the relevancy today. A slideshow presentation held talking points for the club, and the community was able to ask their own questions. The students built off of each others ideas and dug deeply into the book. GSA advisor Jennie Lund says that “Even though attendance was low, we engaged in some really deep discussion and enjoyed yummy food and drinks at the same time. I appreciate your [the students] thoughtful responses and I know I definitely walked away with a deeper level of understanding of the book.”