Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks Sneak by the Engineers

(BNN photo/ J.Kingsbury)
On Monday, April 29th, Kaylee Hamlett delivers a pitch on the Jerry Piper athletic field with a count of 0-2.

WELLS RIVER, VT- On Monday, April 29th, the BMU varsity softball team defeated the Woodsville Engineers 8-7. The Bucks’ have not been able to beat the Engineers in recent memory. In the first inning the Engineers and the Bucks were held scoreless. In the second, Woodsville scored two runs off of a single and an error, but BMU stayed quiet. After a quick three outs defensively, the Bucks scored three runs in the third to put them ahead. The Engineers responded in the 4th with two runs. In the bottom of the 4th inning, the Bucks scored two runs off of three hits. Woodsville scored two in the 5th as the Bucks’ went on to score three. The score was now 6-8 going into the 6th inning. Both teams had nothing to show in the 6th. Woodsville didn’t go down without a fight, tacking on a run in the 7th but Kaylee Hamlett struck out two of the three outs to secure the win.

Kaylee Hamlett got her 100th strike out and has been dominant for BMU in the circle. In this outing, Hamlett had eight strikeouts and offensively was 2-3 with a double. Karli Blood, a senior, was 3-4 with two triples and added an un-assisted double play defensively at shortstop. When asked about the game, Captain Karli Blood said, “I was extremely proud of the team’s perseverance and dedication in the game. There were innings that were nerve-racking, but we had to trust one another.” The Bucks continue their hot streak, improving to 5-0 and will face Paine Mountain on Thursday, May 2nd.