Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Art Class Brings First Grade Dreams to Life

BMU+Studio+Art+student+Bella+Craige+is+seen+here+with+first+grader+Jaxson+Carle+on+Friday%2C+May+17%2C+2024+holding+the+art+project+they+have+been+working+on+recently.+The+Studio+Art+class+took+on+the+project+to+recreate+the+monster+drawings+of+first+grade+students.+
(BNN Photo/K.Perrigo)
BMU Studio Art student Bella Craige is seen here with first grader Jaxson Carle on Friday, May 17, 2024 holding the art project they have been working on recently. The Studio Art class took on the project to recreate the monster drawings of first grade students.

For the past couple of weeks, the BMU Studio Art class has been working to recreate monster drawings made by the first grade class. The project first started around April 29th. Jennifer Dube, the art teacher at BMU began by telling the 1st grade students to draw a monster using lots of color. Dube provided the students with books and other references to inspire them.  The high school students were in charge of creating two monsters. They first started by deciding what monsters they wanted to recreate, and the materials they wanted to use. They had the option between paper mache and clay. All of the students decided to recreate the monsters using clay. After they made their decision between clay and paper mache, they started to create the monsters. The Studio Art class had to problem solve as they were making their monsters. Some of the clay pieces cracked, fell apart, or exploded in the kiln. This ultimately pushed the project back and gave the students less time to finish their clay pieces. The art class is moving on to their next project but will continue to work on their monsters. They will decide to either keep their monsters or give them to the kids when they are done. 

Dube explains the impact this project has on students, “The first grade students have enjoyed being asked what they want.  It has given them opportunities to be the decision makers.  The high school students are learning that a simple first grade drawing is harder to bring to life than anticipated.”

The final pieces will be displayed in the elementary art showcase on Thursday, May 23, 2024 from 5:30pm – 7:00pm

View Comments (1)