Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Blue Mountain Brings Life to Communal Garden

Plants+waiting+to+be+sold+inside+the+greenhouse+at+BMU+on+June+3rd.+
(BNN Photo/A.Sanborn)
Plants waiting to be sold inside the greenhouse at BMU on June 3rd.

Blue Mountain Union school’s integrated science class is selling plants and expanding the garden. The various plants such as basil, cantaloupe, cucumbers, and eggplants were all being sold at the BMU greenhouse during spring-fling and throughout the day. These plants were all grown from seedlings and any profits go towards next year’s community garden. This gardening project wouldn’t have been possible without donations from staff and friends and from future Little Rivers donations. The class is using this as a learning experience, learning about the science of moon planting, traditional planting, and soil nutrients, as well as learning about moving growing zones that are changing due to climate change. The BMU garden sale ends at the end of the school year. Although, next school year the 9-12 BMU science teacher Kimberly Adams has big plans to improve garden next school year “In the Fall I’m hoping to replenish some of the garden beds with more nutrient rich soil because the current quality of the soil could need improvement” Adams also plans to begin planting tomato seeds and peppers right before February break, so they can have much larger plants to sell by the end of May.