Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Coins for Cody

On+November+6%2C+2023%2C+2nd+grade+student+Harmony+Scott%2C++and+kindergartener+Muriel+LaCross%2C+donate+coins+into+their+class+buckets+for+the+Coins+for+Cody+fundraiser.+
Max Rectenwald
On November 6, 2023, 2nd grade student Harmony Scott, and kindergartener Muriel LaCross, donate coins into their class buckets for the Coins for Cody fundraiser.

Julie Gandin is organizing BMU’s elementary school fundraiser “Coins for Cody.” This year’s PBIS theme is: other people matter. Cody Laird, a BMU senior, is not at school this year as he is struggling with cancer. This fundraiser, going on through November, will raise funds to help Cody with his medical related expenses.

Every elementary class has a bucket to put money into located in the front hallway. Pennies and dollars gain points, and the class with the most points will win a dessert day for their class. There is also a twist; adding silver coins, like nickels and quarters, take away points. Gandin states, “Everybody is contributing to the same cause. These silver coins are going to be money for Cody. It’s all fun and games and in good nature.” 

Middle and high school students, as well as staff, may contribute to a class bucket or sabotage a class bucket with silver coins to subtract points. Gandin hopes, “Maybe this would inspire middle and high school students to join us, or have their own [fundraiser] at a later date.” Anyone who wishes to help Cody can add money to any class bucket.