Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Spring Break Plans?
Spring Break Plans?
April 21, 2024

BMU Senior Builds Custom Guitar

Matthew Webster Builds Custom Guitar for Senior Project
(BNN Photo/B. McLure)
Blue Mountain senior Matthew Webster standing next his senior project poster.

Blue Mountain senior Matthew Webster, is building his own custom guitar. Webster says he was assigned a senior project and decided to do something that would challenge him, and that he actually wanted to do. Webster has swapped electronics and made small adjustments to guitars before, but never customized the whole guitar. He says “All of my heroes that played guitar played custom made instruments.”

Matt Webster has been playing guitar for four years and has found that the guitars he’s owned have had some features he likes but never the whole thing, He decided it would be good to make his own guitar that fits his personal needs. Webster explains that he is building the guitar using parts he bought or parts from other guitars he has laying around so that he doesn’t have to cut the wood himself. He has had to find a body, a neck, and all the electronics. His biggest challenge has been finding a body and neck that fit, because every millimeter can make a huge difference in how the neck fits the body. Webster explains that even after finding all the parts and piecing it together, there’s still a whole step of making sure it plays properly. This has been an enjoyable experience for Webster, and he said he would definitely consider doing this again in the future.