Blue Mountain Student Journalism Since 2018

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Bucks News Network

Spring Break Plans?
Spring Break Plans?
April 21, 2024

Jordan Alley’s Op-Ed: Animal Shelters

Author Blurb: 

Jordan Alley is a senior at Blue Mountain Union High School, she enjoys spending time with dogs of her own and strives to help animals that don’t have families. Jordan wants to convince people to adopt or help better shelters in the area. 

Billions of people freely walk this planet every day while millions of animals remain imprisoned in shelters. These animals need us as much as we need them! As a community, we fail to support these poor animals living out their life within 4 cement walls. Every year, 6.3 million animals needlessly end up in shelters nationwide. Out of those 6.3 million, only 3.2 million will get adopted. But, this does not need to happen. We CAN save them. We CAN love them. They NEED us. 

Shelters lack the space to properly care for hundreds of animals and the funding for necessary treatments. They lack the staff to nurture these animals. Simply put, overcrowded shelters have a rule of thumb; 15 minutes for a pet; 6 minutes to feed, and 9 minutes to clean. That’s it. 

Volunteer workers are the strongest; they fight to care for animals who are neglected or lost. Sadly, shelters are a haven for these animals and yet they receive the limited amount of care needed.  

Furthermore, over half of the animals entering shelters will eventually be euthanized. Euthanization is an expensive procedure that takes time and training that shelters simply cannot afford. On average, 1.5 million animals are euthanized every year. (ASPCA) These animals are put down because humans choose not to pick them back up. We as humans don’t accept a “used” item and need what’s new. But these shelter pets need us. They are a huge fraction of our lives, but we are our pets’ entire lives. They know nothing more and nothing less. Our pets are what we give them.

Not only are our furry friends benefitting from adoptions, but so are we.  John Hopkins Medicine states that petting a dog lowers your stress hormones almost IMMEDIATELY. The 4-legged friends we bring into our lives bring us out of our shells. They force us to socialize, exercise, and get outdoors. Pets are a consistent measure that we need in our lives. In this time of giving, the best thing to receive is another companion. So, why not call your local human society today, and adopt a pet today?