The Inaugural Drive Your Tractor to School Day

Group+photo+of+the+first+annual+drive+your+tractor+to+school+day+participants.++

(BNN Photo/J. Kingsbury)

Group photo of the first annual drive your tractor to school day participants.

Owen Murray, News Editor

Wells River- The Blue Mountain parking lot was an exciting sight with 11 tractors representing decades of farming technology, from a 1952 Farmall Cub to a 1996 John Deere 8200. Pulling into BMU, the smiles on the children’s faces were only surpassed by the smiles on the faces of the young men driving. For senior Ricky Fennimore having another final first in his high school career meant a lot. Fennimore had this to say about his decision to pitch the idea of a drive-your-tractor-to-school day, “I had seen it on the internet before and figured a lot of kids at school have tractors and would be a cool thing for us to do.” 

Sophomore Kris Fennimore shared his favorite part about drive-your-tractor-to-school day, “Seeing all the different types of tractors and everyone getting together and having a good time.” K. Fennimore hopes to carry on this tradition stating that “It was really fun and I can’t wait to do it again next year.” All of these young men hope to expand in numbers year by year getting more and more people involved. 

In a state that was once dominated by small dairy farms the extinction of the local farmer looks imminent; but if there is always a small group of young men and women interested in farming the local dairy farmer isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Sophomore Jacob Emerson, who participated with his John Deere 4020, has even started his small farm with several cows and is planning on expanding his herd in the next couple of years.